Thursday, June 24, 2010

Interesting Picks



It seems Swiss exporters are about to join ranks with their Turkish counterparts on ranting about the exchange rate.

I wonder if I'll ever see the day a Turkish MP cites a serious academic paper.

A recent RBS study showing that 2/3 of all liquidity is absorbed by piggy-banks (or rather banks in PIGS) has been getting a lot of attention in blogs of late.

Another point of interest was the Fed announcement. While most commentators saw its tone as dovish,at least one is arguing that the Fed is a quantitative tightening stage. BTW, Aleph provides the redacted version of the FOMC statement.

But perhaps the most popular item has been the recent US housing downturn. I chose this piece among many, not only because it summarizes all the relevant issues neatly, but also because it links to a housing expectations survey, by none other than my undergrad. advisor.


Freakonomics has noticed the freaky South American success in the World Cup as well.


ECRI, the new crystal ball of Economics, is anything but that, at least according to its creators
A new banking crisis dataset, all the way through 2009!

Last but not the least, I am linking an article on the long-term effects of early childhood development because I plan to write about this, in the Turkish context of course, in my weekly Hurriyet column soon.
But since I have started to selfishly pursue my self-interest with my picks, here's something for my second life in tourism- I am just wondering how valuable such services would be in Turkey.

No comments: