Thursday, February 10, 2011

The World through a Turkey economist's eyes

I just wanted to share what some pieces I stumbled upon during my morning news-reading made me think:

British banks agree to lend more to small businesses in exchange for certainty over future regulation. Maybe, the Turkish regulator has to do exactly the opposite, less lending in exchange for policy certainty:) And just as I was becoming critical for the lack of fiscal support for the CBT's measures (and the Bank's somewhat surprising complacency regarding that), Brazil tightens fiscal policy to curb inflation and prevent overheating. The article notes that the budget is still growing in nominal and real terms, and quotes Barcap chief economist for Brazil underlining that there are no expenditure cuts. It seems that economists will have to wait and see if fiscal policy will indeed be supportive of monetary policy, but what we see in Brazil is much better than what we are seeing/likely to see in Turkey...

Interestingly, as you can see above, I have started to see everything as applicable to Turkish monetary policy. Maybe, I should really see somebody:)...

No comments: