Friday, February 25, 2011

Proving my Point on CHP's policies

Here's a comment that just came in to my post on CHP, which proves my point:
YUH SANA TERBİYESİZ, CİĞERİ BEŞ PARA ETMEZ HERİF!
HER GÜN İPE SAPA GELMEZ Bİ BOKA YARAMAYAN SÖZDE EKONOMİ YORUMLARI İLE İNSANLARIN ZAMANINI İŞGAL ETTİĞİN YETMEZMİŞ GİBİ, ŞİMDİ DE ANCAK MAHALLE KAHVESİNE YAKIŞACAK FUTBOL MUHABBETLERİNİ BLOGUNA ALMAN, AMA YİNE DE, UTANMADAN YAZDIKLARINA "ECONOMICS BLOG" ADINI VERMEN, EKONOMİSTLİK MESLEĞİNE HAKARETTİR.
ARTIK BİRAZ BÜYÜ, OLGUNLAŞ VE İNSANLARIN, YAZDIĞIN SAÇMALARI ÇOK İLGİNÇ BULDUKLARINI SANMAKTAN VAZGEÇ!
ALLAH BELANI VERSİN! 
Having read this, you might have thought that I was throwing insults at the CHP. Have a look; I was merely noting that they should have made their economic program available... 

Anyway, I am grateful to Mrs. Anonymous ("she" is my default use) for three things...
  1. She has shown my readers exactly what is wrong with the CHP. Rather than come up with ideas and policies, they are letting people like her flourish by supporting a policy of unconditional hatred (Don't worry, the AKP is not much different, either).
  2. She has  shown the degree of polarization in the country, and especially the "if you either with us or against us" mentality so prevalent in Turkish society.
  3. She has shown the typical Turkish way of debate by attacking my personality and throwing insults rather than providing civilized criticism. She could have easily politely explained why I am wrong (if the family insurance is readily available, she could have sent me the link, in which case I would have apologized), but then she wouldn't be a political bigot, like a considerable chunk of this country.
...Even though I would have preferred that she emailed me these wonderful comments and revealed her identity rather than hide behind the internet's veil of anonymity or better still speak them directly to my face.... After all, it is very easy to be an internet thug, but rather difficult to be a real one, especially when facing a disgruntled, ready-to-explode Besiktas fan...

5 comments:

Emre Deliveli said...

BTW, I should also thank this commenter for providing great reading material for my American friend who is learning Turkish. She is especially keen to learn slang, although I am not sure how I would translate "cigeri bes para etmez herif". Any suggestions???

Anonymous said...

CHP's booklet on their "family insurance" project is available here:

http://www.chp.org.tr/wp-content/uploads/ailesigortasi.pdf

I am not sure why you had difficulty accessing it. It was actually very easy to access this on their website.

Emre Deliveli said...

I was just about the post this, but thanks anyway...

It wasn't at the forefront in the morning, so both Atilla Yesilada and me could not find it... Anyway, all that person had to do was to do what you did rather than throw insults at me...

Anonymous said...

your liver is worthless:)
no way you can translate that.
in fact,what i want to ask you is that what do you think of Turkish goverment's alcohol policies.I know that your parents are running a hotel.do you think that expensive booze and strict regulations will affect the tourism badly?
i think you should write more in microeconomics.these are things that interest people and affect their lives.
anonimci

Emre Deliveli said...

I translated it to her as "your liver is not worth a penny":) BTW, she is reading Yasar Kemal's "Teneke", and she told me today that she made use of the new vocabulary when she encountered the word "herif", as in the herif whose liver is not worth a penny (that's how I translated it for her)

Anyway, thnx for the suggestions... I will tackle them as a separate post late tonight or tomorrow..