Saturday, October 25, 2008

A funny thing

happened to me Saturday morning. Unlike Paul Krugman, I did not wake up to find out I had won an award. Instead, when I logged in to my blogspot account to enter my take on Turkey's fiscal policy, I came across this:



To make a long story short, Turkish citizens can make a complaint of an offensive website in their local courts, and if the court decides that the website is indeed insulting Turkey, it can prevent access to the website from all of Turkey by blocking the IP and DNS addresses. Youtube has been inaccessible from Turkey (at least by using normal means) for months, and a couple of videos insulting Ataturk was all it took.

Nope, I did not travel abroad to be able to enter my blog; all I had to do was to access blogger via a VPN. But, my blog (and all of blogspot) is likely to remain inaccessible from Turkey for a long time. I guess that's all I have to say about that, except that maybe I should thank the Turkish legal system for providing some weekend entertainment.

No comments: