Friday, May 22, 2009

Revitalizing Interesting Picks

Long-time followers would know that this blog has morhped somewhat since its inception in September. I started off with the intention of covering the Turkish economy, but with a global twist, but it wasn't long before the international twist, originally intended to spice things up, turned out to be main dish. The choice was personal (at the time international developments/markets were more interesting) and practical (you only have so much time).

My main international flavor at the time was to link to and very briefly comment on interesting blog picks. What I aptly called Interesting Picks was rather popular with readers at the time. After my nearly two-month blog vacation, I was never able to bring myself to do that stuff again. I still follow those stuff, but reading is one thing, reporting is another; with the increased Turkey coverage in the apres reposer blog, I just did not have the time to do the interesting picks and an occasional international flavored entry in addition to the Turkey stuff.

Anyway, starting today, I am hoping to revitalize Interesting Picks. While I am not certain I could squeeze in the global stuff from time to time, I hope to continue the links entries on a regular basis. So, here's the first set, based on some interesting stuff I picked up in the last few weeks (in the future, I'll only post items from the last couple of days, but I have a lot of ground to cover this time):

CSFB VIX replacement: I am not sure how popular it is nowadays, now that the good old VIX is down as well...

The international institutions have recently set up a G-20 data site.

Now that summer is around the corner, it is time to get in shape, not only physically but also financially.

A concise financial crisis summary/chronology by the Unicredit chief US economist.

Those who have read last week's Hurriyet column would know that I feel a tourism forecasting guide would be a nice addition to the library for many economists covering Turkey.

I just noticed that the New York Fed has a big section on the yield curve as a leading indicator.

Short speech by New York Fed President going over Fed's liquidity facilities- nothing fancy, but nice overview.

No comments: