Friday, January 9, 2009

Serious but not hopeless or hopeless but not serious

The following joke is not intended to light up the mood at all, so be warned:
During the dark days of World War II, two Irishmen were consoling themselves with a pint or two in a Dublin pub. Over the radio came the crackling strain of Winston Churchill, saying, "The situation is serious, but not hopeless." Said one Irishman, "That's the difference between us and the English. In Ireland, the situation is always hopeless, but never serious."
I don't know if it is just me and if it is just me, maybe it is because of I am too fixated on the Irish within so that I am making imaginary connections, but Turkish economic policy response to the crisis is starting to look increasingly like the Irishman's view of life. Or maybe it is just me and I am impervious to psychoanalysis just like the Irish.

Anyway, I'll have more to say on this on Monday, but in the meantime, fee free to have a look at what other countries are doing (HT to Eray Yucel).

PS. There are different versions of the joke above. The version is I used is from here, but see here for a different (and probably better known version).

No comments: