Monday, June 29, 2009

Book Recommendation: Acik Pozisyon (Open Position) by Yusuf Goz

This is a review I've meaning to do for the last few weeks... And as I found half an hour waiting for a movie in Cevahir, I wanted to jot down a couple of paragraphs.

Yusuf Goz tells his life as a trader in the 1990s in Turkey in the highly entertaining Acik Pozisyon (Open Position). Such books are in abundance in Wall Street and the City, with the most famous example arguably being Liar's Poker, but I guess Goz's book is the first of its kind in Turkish. It is a short and fun read, which you can finish in a long afternoon, which is exactly what I did on a Sunday afternoon last month.

The most important insight the book gave me is that the incentive problems at the heart of the 2007-2009 financial meltdown are not specific to Wall Street at all. Throughout the book, I could see the same traces of skewed incentives.

Overall, it is a fun introduction to the trading environment, full of anecdotes and lively descriptions. If you speak Turkish, I'd definitely recommend it.

No comments: