Sunday, August 15, 2010

EconNews Roundup

Since I am finally done with archiving, it's time to revive my domestic and international news summary columns:

A financial instrument that warrants cheer.

Zaman is worried 80,000 aye-sayers in the referendum will not be able vote because of the umrah. I touch on the relationship between voting preferences in the referendum and piousness, among other things, in tomorrow's Daily News column

Tourists to Cappodocia on the rise. For the rest of Turkey, a picture is worth more than a thousand words:
Speaking of tourism, culture and tourism minister declares Turkey one of the world's leading tourism destinations on number of tourists. Since I feel artistic today, let me provide another pciture:
Both lines are 12-month moving average, as there is quite a bit seasonality in the data and smoothing things out just makes them look nicer:) This downwards trend in in the already-low revenues per tourist was one of the main points of my recent Kommersant interview and will also feature in my annual tourism column, due to appear in a few weeks- I am planning to write right after the August tourist arrival/departure statistics are announced, but since his excellency's ministry is not able to publish these on time (despite the fact that they already sit on the computer), I am not able to give you an exact date.



Hurriyet takes on Istanbul business clusters. Interesting piece, but I wish they had looked at the large economic literature on economic clusters.

Last but not the least, all of these already appeared on the web site, but here is what your friendly neighborhood economist wrote about in the last three weeks.

No comments: