Tuesday, March 2, 2010

More on the latest Hurriyet & Forbes columns

I forgot to mention this while putting up yesterday's Hurrriyet column in my blog, but it seems that from now on, the blog and official versions of the Hurriyet columns will be exactly the same. Since I will be putting up my columns myself, there won't be big differences between the two. But the columns will still go through copy-editing in the paper, meaning that they will hopefully be able to catch the occasional grammatical error.

BTW, that last column was designed as a complement to the Hurriyet Daily News editorial and news article on the same subject. I should have given hyperlinks to those in the article, but it just slipped my mind.

Speaking of that column, a reader asked the following question:
I am wondering - are any of these business-oriented reform objectives being addressed in the AKP's new reform package
The short answer is: Not really. AKP's new reform package includes some democratic steps such as making the closing down of political parties more difficult and judicial reform, which is seen by some by the party taking on the judiciary. The reforms that I have in mind (educational reforms, cutting down labor costs and the like) would not need constitutional changes at all.

This brings me to another point. After starting with Forbes, I noticed that I am implicitly assuming in my Hurriyet columns that the readers already know quite a bit about the Turkish economy and are even familiar with issue I am discussing. So if you are not, feel free to ask a question anytime by commenting on the posts/newspaper articles- all the venues I am writing for have decent comments setup.

Speaking of columns, there is a funny addendum to my Forbes and Hurriyet columns on Balkan contagion. Right after I note that Greek banks are sound for now, Fitch cut ratings for Greek banks. Normally, I should be worried, but given the past performance in ratings agencies, I am not:)

No comments: