Thursday, March 11, 2010

Addendum to the Politics columns

A Turkish friend of mine leaving in the US for the last 15 years told me that my articles were stating the obvious (he didn't mean to say that they were redundant), so he was surprised that people were accusing me of being Dogan's pen-for-hire.

My friend is right to add that he is missing something because he has been out of the country for so long: As I told him, stating the obvious does not matter in Turkey; even if I said the sky is blue, I would have been accused of being a hired pen. You really have been away from the Vaterland a lot: In Turkey, everyone operates under the logic that "if you are not one of us, you are one of them:)....

But my friend is right on target by saying that the next step is being accused of being a spy. But ultimately, I am hoping that that I would end up getting arrested as an Ergenekon conspirator. Then, the Daily News could count the days I am detained, just as Cumhuriyet does with Mustafa Balbay:)

Surprisingly, the bad apples did not show up for the Forbes and Roubini politics pieces. The perennial optimist in me hopes they finally learned to discuss ideas rather than throw baseless accusations, but we'll just have to wait and see...

No comments: