Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Short Diversion into Art


Today, I visited the Dali exhibition at the Sakip Sabanci Museum, which immediately brought back memories of my graduate macroeconomics course- just for the record, the Dali painting at the cover reflects one of the coauthors’ (the relatively shorter one) taste for anything associated with Catalonia rather than his appreciation of Dali. Anyway, I have once more established that my taste of art refuses to reach closer than Impressionism. But just like football players, there is good art, art that is barely watchable, art that is bad…and then there is Damien Hirst (replace art with footballer and Damien Hirst with Athony Seric, and you have the comments of a Greek Seric fan- incidentally, Seric turned out to be better than expected in his first official game against Metalist Kharkiv of Ukraine).

Coming back to Hirst, his Sotheby’s auction was definitely a success. However, while reading about junk items going through intermediaries with asymmetric incentives after being packaged as high quality and ending up at overly-enthusiastic buyers confident that they have made good investments, I was suddenly filled with a weird sensation of déjà vu? I am sure I have seen it before, but where and when I just cannot recall…

No comments: