Tuesday, February 9, 2010

EconNews Roundup

Private equity bullish on Turkey: Call me madcap, but that's not what you see in the data.

All Babacan show: Some read my lips on the IMF saga, as well as another optimistic outlook.

Speaking of surprises, it is now official: I've probably been too pessimistic on 2009 growth: December Industrial Production all but ensures that we'll get a good positive yoy growth figure for the last quarter, which will bring the yearly contraction to less than 6%.

A possible positive byproduct of the Greek crisis.

Turkey expects upturn in tourism this year: In tourist arrivals yes, but not in revenue and profits, especially with the downward trend in prices and quality. Econ tzar Babacan made a weird speech arguing tourism was doing well, which I hope to discuss in my Hurriyet column in the next couple of weeks.

No comments: